Tuesday, September 14, 2010

from the mouth of gabriel

Sufjan Stevens has a new EP out, called All Delighted People. It is delightful. I think this is my favorite track, at least at the moment.

The song is in 4/4, but the way that this last part goes creates a syncopated feel, extending some parts of the phrase and creating emphasis on the "3&" beat. I love the fluttering flute and clarinet alternating, overlaid with the spacey electronic tones and echos. And his voice is doing something very Sigur Rós-esque, jumping from low notes to high falsettos (or maybe that's just as Sufjan as it is Sigur Rós, but whatever). This end part sends me soaring:

Now I know this is strange to hear from the mouth of God
It was something like a scene from mars
In a struggle between loves and lies
The angel kept his face covered for to keep his word
And while I spoke something left from my life
Forget about the past
Be at rest I'll make things right
And while I held you at best you nearly died
Forget about the past
And I'll try to make things right

No comments: